Friday, September 16, 2016

When life gets complicated you adjust.

This will be my last blog for a little while.  I plan to take an extended social media break starting tomorrow, that will last for as long as I need it to. I'm using the full moon today, to jump start some changes, and for that reason I will be disconnecting so I can focus all of my energies on what's going on here.  As usual don't worry if something happens that is worth reporting, positive or negative, I'll let y'all know.  I appreciate how much you all do care about Steve & me, and how much you love to follow along with our journey.  

As most of you know, Steve's laundry list of complications have grown to an overwhelming amount. I don't always do the best job sharing this kind of stuff with you, so I want to go into it here.  This is just touching the surface, but will give you an idea on why it's hard for me to get anything done around here.  I consider it a huge blessing to be able to care for Steve, and the extra projects are never as important as taking care of Steve; but because he requires more time for me, I need to really get a grip on my "me" time and get a routine in so it's used best for my mental/physical well being.  

To start with we have the wound on Steve's left lower booty cheek, that's been there since April.  We are healing thankfully, and while we have decreased turning him by one day per week, we are still spending large quantities of time to assure we continue on the right path.  Steve's right lower lobe of his lung has collapsed on itself from this chronic infection he has had for 3 years now.  There's the constant trial of antibiotics, ranging from IV to feeding tube, that his body is slowly rejecting more and more.  He's currently on a break from all antibiotics due to extreme stomach complications from them.  Then comes the feeding tube, that because his body only gets fed IV foods (due to the gastroparesus) the 'holes' introduced to his body have all stretched; feeding tube included.  Now it leaks stomach acid on the hour, requiring immediate cleaning of the site and redressing.  The only way they will change his tube out from this point on is if it stops working, because the more they try to introduce new tubes, the more stretching we will have.  Now comes our biggest & scariest complication the trach.  If you followed us closely while we were in the hospital, you know Steve has the largest trach made, and unfortunately his trachea and stoma have deteriorated.  It's speculated these three things are the cause: from when Steve would violently vomit anything put in his stomach (back in his rapid approach to the 67 lbs days), the copious amounts of sputum in his lungs constantly trying to come out, and again he's fed IV.  The TPN (IV food) saved his life, but it only goes so far in nourishing, food (and water) really is life. So Steve's trach will now leak 5-6 times a day requiring extensive trach care, packing the stoma, and adjusting the cuff to stop the leak.  Of course, all while helping Steve maintain his calm.  Because of constant stomach problems, we have an absorption problem.  Doctors are unable to figure this out, because some days, Steve will be given his medication and he feels like he hasn't received any and some days he gets the same amount and he can't even open his eyes.  Since the overdose that happened in December because of the absorption problem, I have to monitor his alertness to determine dosage of medications.  Because there is no way for us to fully comprehend his body, there is no clear cut dosing for him anymore. 

So this is just the additional add on's to what ALS already presents us with.  If you've ever watched the movie, The Revenent, with Leonardo DiCaprio, most of us have compared him with Steve.  He is constantly facing challenges that can easily kill him, yet he overcomes every one, much like Steve. Every discussion with a doctor is the same thing, Steve's outliving everyone's expectations, and they really are all doing the best they can, and keep praising Steve on his strong will to live.  Both of us truly understanding this journey is a day to day, accepting that any number of these complications could be enough to take him, we are facing the impermanence of life daily.  Fortunately we also choose not to live in fear, and instead live in gratitude for everyday we do get.  That part was easy to adjust to, what hasn't been is how I should be spending the time when Steve's napping/resting/watching football.  Because it's all so much for my brain to comprehend some days I just walk laps around the house trying to decide what I want to do.  

So, until I can get a full grip on how to truly nourish myself with some down time everyday, I'll keep feeling depleted, overwhelmed, anxious, and frustrated.  I am okay health wise, so please don't get alarmed; when I explained this to some close friends they immediately became concerned that maybe I wasn't well.  I promise I'm okay, and this is to assure I continue to be.  I will of course be keeping up with my daily writing habits except mostly it will be for personal growth and the book.  If I write something exceptional while I'm gone, I'll tuck it away to share when I'm back.  

I'll leave with this simple truth:  If I can create a consistent, realistic, routine between Steve and myself, I can accomplish all I want to.  I know I am capable of all that comes to my mind, I know I can do better with my time, I know I can continue to maintain my vibrant health, and I know I can keep Steve going as long as he's in, I'm in.  I know I can do this all, but know it requires some changes that will take work.  SO, with that said, I will see you all as soon as I'm happy with the course we are on.  

If you need me and can't figure out how to reach me, email me hope.ann.cross@gmail.com  I will still check my email a couple times a week, and if you have my number of course text me.  Hopefully after I get a balance I'll actually get better at replying to people; although I wouldn't hold my breath (some things never change ;)).

We love you, and again thanks for caring, supporting, praying, etc.  You all help us so much more than you will ever know.  

14 comments:

  1. Please God be with hope and Steve and I hope her in every way that she knows that we support her and give her strength she's so brave and Steve is in their love is just as powerful as the love that you have for each of us

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to hold you and Steve in my heart and in my prayers. Sending so much love and big hugs to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope a miracle happens and Steve's body starts recovering by itself! I believe and have my faith in Allah's power to heal his creations.

    The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to place his right hand on the sick person and say (three times) Reported in Sahih Muslim

    Azhibil ba'sa rabban naas
    washfi Antash shaafee.
    Laa shifaa-a illaa shifaa uka
    Shifaa-al laa yughaa diru saqamaa

    “Take away the pain,
    O Lord of mankind,
    and grant healing,
    for You are the Healer, and there is no healing
    but Your healing that leaves no trace of sickness"

    It was narrated by Ahmad and Abu Dawood that the Prophet (pbuh) said:
    “Whoever visits a sick person who is not yet dying, should recite the following dua seven times in his presence”:

    أَسْأَلُ اللَّهَ الْعَظِيمَ رَبَّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيمِ أَنْ يَشْفِيَكَ

    ‘As’alu Allaaha hul azeema
    Rabb al-‘arsh il-‘azeem
    Ayyn- yashfiyaka'

    "I ask Allah who is the Lofty and the Lord of the Mighty Throne that He cures you"

    Please read this out to Steve, even if you don't believe in Islam, words do have an energy and power to heal.

    Good luck Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you both as you journey down this difficult path. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying the peace of God that surpasses all understanding to fill both you and Steve and all caretakers involved here. Praying for healing for Steve, Lord Jesus i just Pray you will touch Steve with a healing touch of your of love for him. The hem of your garment will do. Whatever the way, I just pray a radical healing touch upon Steve. I pray you will fill Hope and Steve will all the fruit of the Spirit and more.... Just praying a supernatural touch on them both. Give them an incredible testimony to share. I pray creative strategies, supernatural strength, restored hope, peace, joy, provision. I pray you will send your laborers, helpers to help carry Hope abs Steve during this time. I pray your Spirit fall down on them, boys them, anoint them, lavish your perfect love and peace on them. Praying your wisdom and faith upon them and every desire of their hearts. In Jesus name I pray. Amen 😘💕🙏

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers, blessings, love and light to you both sweet angels. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your love and commitment give me strength. 8 months ago the love of my life was diagnosed with BULBAR ONSET ALS. He is 34. I am 29. We have a 1 year old son and together have 7 children. I am doing it all alone. Work shopping cooking cleaning school kids dr appointments pharmacy runs sitting up at night making sure he's breathing wondering how I'll ever get thru to the next day locking myself in my car and screaming before I come inside from work wishing I could runaway from it all. But my love him overpowers any other emotion I feel. Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey guys my wife and I have been married for 15 years. For over five years I have been dealing with jealousy issues because of flirting and her having emotional type affairs with other men. I felt like my masculinity was in question and if I said the way she was acting bothered me, it seemed to make matters worse or I was accused of being controling. During this period I did state I wanted a divorce if the behavior was not going to end: texting men a night, leaving for the weekend without letting me know where she was going or not responding to messages. We do have a son and basically it's been him and I for the last year on the weekends. She disconnected completely from being a good wife and mother. In April she said she wanted a separation and I said no we need to get into marriage counseling. We did try that, but she was not very responsive and didn't give any effort. Afterward she was adamant about separation and divorce. I continued to say no and that we needed to save our family. She presented a separation agreement and I had to hire a lawyer. Because of the above behavior my lawyer suggested a private investigator. The investigator discovered my wife was having an affair with a close friend of the family who also is married with children. We know the extended families. I feel like I should tell this man's wife about what happened. This adultery has devastated me emotionally, I feel betrayed and I'm physically drained. I know my wife is passionate in terms of her sexuality, and I can't get the thought of them out of my head. It makes me question my own manhood, and I feel very inferior or that he must be a better lover or what ever. The problem is my wife pursued him. She would go to him and she lured him into this adultery. I felt this was coming for some time and could not stop it. She was not only lying to me but also to our son about what she was doing and where she was going. My family is important, my son loves her and as crazy as it sounds so do I. Can you respond with a course of action on how to proceed? I was still have a very huge place in my heart for her. so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my wife came to me and apologized for the wrongs she did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I, my son and my wife are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Ahmed. as it is a place to resolve marriage/relationship issues, do you want to be sure if your spouse is being faithful to you or Do you want your Ex to come back to you Contact.: E-mail: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call/Whats-app: +2348160153829 save your crumbling home and change of grades its 100% safe. I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you.

    David L. Ollis, 43yrs, UK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking for a programmed Blank ATM card that can withdraw $5,000 in a day? Reply back to get yours within three working days .WhatsApp (+1 845 600 7657) atm1eng@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called dr.ajeghe. When I nearly lost David in one of our stupid,fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.i read so many testimony about Dr. ajeghe love spell,how he help to bring back ex lover back.I quickly email him.and also get back my husband with his love spell. And when I was at my most desperate,he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! David my husband and I are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to dr.ajeghe email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help ajeghespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2349069171173

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you interested in any kinds of hacking services?
    Feel free to contact TECHNECHHACKS@GMAIL.COM.

    For years now we’ve helped so many organizations and companies in hacking services.
    TECHNECHHACKS is a team of certified hackers that has their own specialty and they are five star rated hackers.


    we deal with the total functioning of sites like,



    + SOCIAL MEDIA (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, google hangout etc.)

    + CREDIT CARDS INSTALLATION

    + WESTERN UNION TRANSFER

    + MONEY FLIPPING

    + BANK ACCOUNTS

    + IOS/OS

    + CRIMINAL RECORDS

    + SCHOOL GRADES

    + CREDIT SCORES

    + SPOUSES PHONE

    + BTC RECOVERY

    + BTC MINING


    Thus bewere of scammers because most persons are been scammed and they ended up getting all solutions to their cyber bullies and attacks by US.

    I am Jason williams one of the leading hack agent.

    PURPOSE IS TO GET YOUR JOBS DONE AT EXACTLY NEEDED TIME REQUESTED!!!



    And our WORK SUCCESS IS 100%!!!



    I’m always available for you when you need help.

    Contact or write us on:

    Technechhacks@gmail.com

    Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete