Saturday, July 2, 2016

Attaching to a story...

"It's not the feelings, it's the story you attach to the feelings."  It's something that I've heard people talk about more times than I can count.  I don't know that I ever fully processed it until recently. Feeling is normal, and you have to feel them to really get through them, but attaching to them because you attach a story to it, makes it stick.  

Stick for how long, is up to you.  See it's truly up to us to work through these feelings, and let go of them.  If we hold on to them for years, that's on us.  Even if someone did something for us to truly hold on to, and attach them to that feeling.  He/She did this to make me angry or sad or violated, etc.  

Sure they did, but are they making you hold on to those feelings?  Nope.  They sure aren't.  Forgiveness isn't just a word people throw around because it's good for you.  Forgiveness is healing. Feeling life, working through it, and LETTING go; is the only way to live a full life.  Who are you hurting by carrying around all this baggage?  I'll answer that for you.  You're hurting yourself.

I know you are all thinking, goodness who does Hope need to forgive?  Truth is, I feel like I've worked through forgiveness, but my current process is learning to not attach a story to the feeling from the start. To really feel it, let it out however it needs to come out, and move on without the story.  That's some next level stuff right there.

Knowing what I need to work on, is just the first step.  Consistently trying it no matter how many times I don't get it right, is the hard part.  I just know that in order to live the life I want, it's an important step.

So I will practice the art of non attachment in ways I never thought of it applying.  Not attaching to a story.  What story are y'all holding on to?  Is it time to let something go?  Feel free to share it with me.  

2 comments: