Sunday, July 17, 2011

A calling...

"Do what you love & you'll never work a day." 

Most people spend the majority of their lives preparing themselves for their "job."  I like most did the same, and was in school until I was 23.  However, I truly believe that with my job it's not something I prepared for, it's something I was called to do.  Currently, for those of you who don't know I am working at a drug & alcohol medical detox.  On a daily basis when I answer the phone and say, "Thanks for calling new vision this is Hope, how may I help you??"  People start out (what is typically a very hard conversation for them) by saying, "What a great name for what you do!" 

Now it's true, my name is perfect for my professional life, and I try daily to have it be for my personal life also.  I bring people hope, when they come see me.  Most people I come in contact with my job (as well as my past jobs since graduating) are at their lowest point.  A lot of them are hopeless....my goal restore the hope!

I recently was considering a change of careers, not just a job change but completely stop doing any sort of counseling related job.  I revamped my resume, applied to hundreds of places & didn't hear anything. I kept believing it was because it's hard to break into a new industry especially when the economy isn't fully repaired (some places not even close).  Then I thought about it, I am good at what I do.  I know and understand what I do very well.  I have personal experiences that help cultivate the professional work I do. That's not something that should be just thrown away!  Maybe I'm not meant to get out of my field.  I believe that with hard work & perseverance if something is meant to be God will guide me in the right direction for it to be.  So here I am, reevaluating my life goal AGAIN (which I won't get on a tangent on this because it's a whole blog in itself) and realized I need to stick with my calling.

So after the reevaluation of my goal, there's a lot I need to do in order to get to where I want to be in my field.  I've always said this & still feel the same way---I want to own my own practice.  That's what I want to do, and now I just have to restore my hope & do what it takes to reach that goal!

Hope is not a dream, but a way of making a dream reality!  

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are staying in this field...people with needs, need to have hope in this world. They also need to understand, there is nothing that is totally hopeless...for me it is with God, all things are possible...keep your eyes on the goal.... I love you, oh-the one that gave me hope in a situation that seemed hopeless at the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope - you know this is what you are meant to do...
    keep the course :)

    ReplyDelete